Thursday, November 29, 2012

Beam mantle

I can finally check mantle off of my list! Since last year's holiday season I have been wanting a mantle badly. I don't know what it is about this pregnancy but I am getting things done! I honestly think a huge part of me feels that once baby #2 comes, my list is out the door and nothing will be completed for months. So I just keep up with my diy cravings this pregnancy and indulge one project at a time :)

I wanted something very simple and rustic for my mantle... and of course inexpensive (mama on a budget). I went down to Home Depot with Braeden and my dad and we picked up a 4x8x8 raw wood beam for $20. I really didn't care what it looked like since the imperfections is what adds to the beauty. I then went home and distressed it (aka beat it up) a bit by doing the following:
- filled a sock with nails and screws and wacked it a couple times
- hit it with a hammer
- hit it with an old high heeled shoe of mine

Once again, you really can't go wrong with this- which is why I love these kind of projects- so beat away!

I then took left over stain I had and covered 3 sides (leaving the side facing the wall blank not to waste stain on something that would never be seen). Now, when it comes to hanging things, my husband and myself do not trust ourselves if it is anything bigger than a picture frame. Thankfully my dad's friend is a handy man and he saved the day. He used 3 rod iron looking brackets ($10/each) and then worked his handy man magic. For $50 in materials wood beam & brackets), we now have a beautiful rustic mantle that I smile with joy at everyday!







No comments:

Post a Comment